Friday, April 22, 2016

Earth Day

I love Earth Day, always have. I know I don't do everything well when it comes to being environmentally friendly. I mean, I drive a car, occasionally eat meat from non sustainable sources, don't recycle EVERYTHING, but I do try to be conscientious and grateful to this awesome planet.
For those out there that do not know, I am a geography/culture loving nerd. If I could visit every civilization, every environment in the world, stand on every mountain, in every valley or desert, hear every language, study every religion, every culturally significant thing, I would in a heart beat. I love hearing people's stories, legends, teachings, songs, struggles, history...everything. My heart breaks for people I have never seen and I love people I have never met and feel homesick for places I have never been.
So in honor of Earth Day I want to attempt my own little tribute to this planet. Over the next year, I will be posting the flag of a nation and some info about the country/people group it represents. I will do my best to give them all their own day. Every country is unique and amazing and deserves to be celebrated.
Thus begins my own little twist on Earth Day celebration.

The number of countries (by definition) can change over the course of time so for this I will using the Worldometers website, World Atlas website, as well as information for the UN. I will strive to be as accurate as possible.

According to worldometers in 2016
"There are 195 countries in the world today. This total comprises 193 countries that are member states of the United Nations and 2 countries that are non-member observer states: the Holy See and the State of Palestine."

I will start with these then branch out into other people groups. This will not be the only thing this blog will cover so don't worry those that are not as excited about this endeavor as I am :) 


Thanks for visiting MoE today! Happy Earth Day! 
Go run in the rain, jump in the mud, lay in the grass, recycle something! 

Laters, 
Lora

Sources
http://www.worldatlas.com/nations.htm
http://www.worldometers.info/geography/how-many-countries-are-there-in-the-world/
http://www.un.org/en/index.html
http://www.freeimages.co.uk/galleries/space/earth/

No comments:

Post a Comment