Tuesday, April 26, 2016

My Earth Day #1 Iceland

First post of my own little Earth day challenge! I went back and forth decided where to start! So many amazing places to highlight...where to start?
I decided to go with Iceland.
This was the first country I every did a report on in elementary school and I have been fascinated by the history, environment and culture ever since. My mother helped me sew a replica of the flag...my first sewing project (FYI I suck at sewing but that little flag is still intact) Iceland is in my Top 5 places I HAVE to visit. You see, I have different lists. I have my HAVE to visit, my WANT to visit and my I would LIVE there tomorrow if I could, and It would be COOL to visit. Now this covers most, if not all countries, but some lists are shorter than others.



According to National Geographic 

A volcanic island, Iceland is Europe's westernmost country and home to the world's northernmost capital city, Reykjavík. Although glaciers cover more than a tenth of the island, the Gulf Stream and warm southwesterly winds moderate the climate—most residents occupy the country's southwest. Established in 930, the national assembly, or Althingi, is the world's oldest continuous parliament. Under the Danish crown for more than 500 years, the country became a republic in 1944. Almost all of Iceland's electricity and heating come from hydroelectric power and geothermal water reserves. Explosive geysers, relaxing geothermal spas, glacier-fed waterfalls like Gullfoss (Golden Falls), and whale watching attract more than 270,000 visitors a year.


Here are some facts from  http://landlopers.com/2015/06/21/facts-about-iceland

  1. A majority of Icelanders believe in elves.
  2. At about 39,000 square miles, Iceland is small – close to the size of Ohio.
  3. There is a volcanic eruption every 4 years on average.
  4. There are no forests in Iceland.
  5. Beer remained illegal in Iceland until 1989.
  6. At 43.5 hours per week, they have the longest work week in Europe.
  7. The Icelandic language remains unchanged from ancient Norse. That means 1,000-year-old texts are still easily read.
  8. Babies in Iceland are routinely left outside to nap.
  9. There are no surnames or family names in Iceland – Icelanders use the traditional Nordic naming system, which includes a last name that is comprised from their father’s (or mother’s) first name with the addition of -dóttir (-daughter) or -son.
  10. 60% of the Icelandic population lives in Reykjavík.
In my second book, I have a character born and raised most of his life in Iceland. If you are reading this and are a native Icelander, I would love to run some questions by you! email me at loradouglasauthor@gmail.com
Estimated book release, Aug/Sept 2016.

If I ever get to visit I would love to stay  at the Ion Luxury


(affording this trip is another story entirely! But hey I can dream!)
http://www.hotelscombined.com/Hotel/Ion_Luxury_Adventure_Hotel.htm

Other sources
http://ontheworldmap.com/iceland/iceland-location-map.html
http://www.express.co.uk/travel/activity/637734/Best-things-to-do-in-Iceland

No comments:

Post a Comment